The National Capital Region (NCR) in India is the designation for the conurbation or metropolitan area which encompasses the entire National Capital Territory of Delhi, which includes New Delhi, as well as urban areas surrounding it in neighboring states of Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.
The four constituent Sub-Regions of NCR are as follows:
- The Haryana Sub-Region comprises thirteen districts: Faridabad, Gurgaon, Mewat, Rohtak, Sonepat, Rewari, Jhajjar, Panipat, Palwal, Mahendragarh (Narnaul), Bhiwani, Jind and Karnal.
- The Uttar Pradesh Sub-Region comprises seven districts: Meerut, Ghaziabad, Bulandshahr, Gautam Budh Nagar, Baghpat, Hapur, Muzaffarnagar.
- The Rajasthan Sub-Region comprises two districts: Bharatpur, Alwar
- Delhi, which constitutes about 2.9% of the land area of the Region.
A total of 20 districts in three neighbouring states of Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan along with whole of the National Capital Territory of Delhi constitute the National Capital Region (NCR) of India as defined in National Capital Region Planning Board (NCRPB) Act, 1985. The areas and populations of these
Component districts are set out below
|Gautam Budh Nagar||UttarPradesh||1,282||GautamBudhNagar|
Counter Magnets Areas
Counter-magnet towns are identified as those that can be developed as alternative centres of growth and attract migrants to them rather than Delhi. These towns are located in six states-Uttarakhand, Madhya Pradesh and Punjab, in addition to Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Rajasthan, which are already part of the national capital region.
The criteria for selecting counter magnet towns are: that they should not be within approximately 250 kilometres from Delhi, should have their own established roots and potential of growth and should not be centres of either religious, strategic or environmental importance.
- Hisar, 160 km
- Ambala, 200 km
- Karnal (now in NCR), 125 km
Madhya Pradesh state
- Gwalior, 320 km
- Patiala, 230 km
- Jaipur, 260 km
- Kota, 525 km
Uttar Pradesh state
- Bareily, 250 km
- Kanpur, 470 km
- Moradabad, 160 km
- Dehradun, 240 km