What Is A 'Savings Account'?
A savings account is a deposit account held at a bank or other financial institution that provides principal security and a modest interest rate. Depending on the specific type of savings account, the account holder may not be able to write checks from the account (without incurring extra fees or expenses) and the account is likely to have a limited number of free transfers/transactions. Savings account funds are considered one of the most liquid investments outside of demand accounts and cash. In contrast to savings accounts, checking accounts allow you to write checks and use electronic debit to access your funds inside the account. Savings accounts are generally for money that you don't intend to use for daily expenses. To open a savings account, simply go down to your local bank with proper identification and ask to open an account.
Open Saving Account
- Approach any Bank of choice & meet its Bank Officer - Once the type of account is decided, the person should approach a convenient bank. He has to meet the bank officer regarding the opening of the account. The bank officer will provide a proposal form (Account Opening Form) to open bank account.
- Fill up Bank Account Opening Form - Proposal Form - The proposal form must be duly filled in all respects. Necessary details regarding name, address, occupation and other details must be filled in wherever required. Two or three specimen signatures are required on the specimen signature card. If the account is opened in joint names, then the form must be signed jointly. Now a days the banks ask the applicant to submit copies of his latest photograph for the purpose of his identification.
- Give References for Opening your Bank Account - The bank normally required references or introduction of the prospective account holder by any of the existing account holders for that type of account. The introducer introduces by signing his specimen signature in the column meant for the purpose The reference or introduction is required to safeguard the interest of the bank.
- Submit Bank Account Opening Form and Documents - The duly filled in proposal form must be submitted to the bank along with necessary documents.
- Officer will verify your Bank Account Opening Form - The bank officer verifies the proposal form. He checks whether the form is complete in all respects or not. The accompanying documents are verified. If the officer is satisfied, then he clears the proposal form.
- Deposit initial amount in newly opened Bank Account - After getting the proposal form cleared, the necessary amount is deposited in the bank. After depositing the initial money, the bank provides a pass book, a cheque book and pay in slip book in the case of savings account.
Advantage Of Saving Account
Their main advantages are liquidity and superior rates compared to checking accounts. Most modern savings accounts offer access to funds through visits to a local branch, over the internet and through automated teller machines.